On Thursday, Feb. 7, the highly anticipated 2019 NBA All-Star draft occurred with Los Angeles Lakers forward LeBron James and Milwaukee Bucks forward Giannis Antetokounmpo as captains drafting their respective teams. This was the second consecutive season the rosters were determined by a draft and the first to be televised in a 45-minute segment on TNT.
James—the NBA’s leading vote-getter for the All-Star Game—picked first and selected Golden State Warriors forward Kevin Durant. Antetokounmpo then followed selecting Golden State Warriors guard Stephen Curry with his first pick.
James then selected former teammate Kyrie Irving, who could be a top free agent target for the Lakers this summer. “King James” took New Orleans Pelicans forward Anthony Davis as his first reserve, sparking speculation if the two will soon become teammates in LA, too.
Inside the NBA analyst and Hall of Famer trolled James about Antetokounmpo trading his entire bench for Davis.
Here are the full results from the All-Star Draft:
- Team LeBron: Kevin Durant
- Team Giannis: Stephen Curry
- Team LeBron: Kyrie Irving
- Team Giannis: Joel Embiid
- Team LeBron: Kawhi Leonard
- Team Giannis: Paul George
- Team LeBron: James Harden
- Team Giannis: Kemba Walker
- Team Giannis: Khris Middleton
- Team LeBron: Anthony Davis
- Team Giannis: Nikola Jokic
- Team LeBron: Klay Thompson
- Team Giannis: Ben Simmons
- Team LeBron: Damian Lillard
- Team Giannis: Blake Griffin
- Team LeBron: Russell Westbrook
- Team Giannis: D’Angelo Russell
- Team LeBron: LaMarcus Aldridge
- Team Giannis: Nikola Vucevic
- Team LeBron: Karl-Anthony Towns
- Team Giannis: Kyle Lowry
- Team LeBron: Bradley Beal
- Team LeBron: Dwyane Wade
- Team Giannis: Dirk Nowitzki
James and Antetokounmpo ended up trading Russell Westbrook for Ben Simmons so Westbrook can settle his beef with Joel Embiid as All-Star teammates! Classic.